There’s nothing better than a roast chicken on Christmas day, this recipe could also be substituted for turkey.
What you need
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 slices wholegrain bread (torn into pieces)
- 2 small kaffir lime leaves
- 1 tablespoon parsley (chopped)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup dried apricots (chopped)
- honey soy marinade
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 1/2 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five spice
What to do
- Preheat oven to specified temperature for size of the chicken you are cooking. Rinse chicken inside and out with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Make Apricot stuffing: Place bread into a food processor and pulse into crumbs. Add lime leaves and parsley and pulse again. Add apricots and pulse until combined, then add egg and pulse until combined. Fill cavity of prepared chicken with stuffing. Using a small piece of kitchen twine, tie chicken legs together. Set aside.
- Prepare Honey soy marinade: Combine all marinade ingredients and heat gently until jam has dissolved.
- Lift the skin of the chicken at the neck and slide your fingers underneath to separate skin from the breast. Brush or spoon marinade under breast skin on both sides, reserving a little for basting during cooking.
- Place chicken into a baking dish and baste with remaining marinade. Bake to the time specified for the size of the chicken you are cooking, basting frequently during cooking. Remove skin before serving.