What is Digital Eye Strain?
Digital eye strain is the physical discomfort felt after prolonged time in front of digital screens.
Did you know the average adult;
- looks at least 3 different digital screens every day.
- looks at their smart phone or iPad up to 60 times per day.
- spends at least 12 hours a day consuming some form of media form a digital screen
So it is no surprise that staring at screens throughout the day can be hard on your eyes and may cause digital eye strain — even if you don’t currently wear glasses. Because screens are small, bright and we spend a lot of time staring at them, they make our eyes work hard.
Here are some of the most common conditions you can experience by staring at screens for too long:
- Dry Eyes – when you look at something up close (eg your smart phone)you reduce your blink rate, which can cause dry irritated eyes.
- Eye Strain – also known as ‘eye fatigue’ – can cause headaches, red, irritated eyes and neck or back pain.
- Headaches- usually frontal (across the top of head) or to the temples (side of head) after prolonged close work