Common Eye Conditions
Here we have a look at the most common eye conditions that can affect anyone, at any age, though they are more likely to occur as we get older. We have included a short definition of the condition but with a short click we can have a more in depth look.
- Digital Eye Strain – is the physical discomfort of the eye that is felt after excessive exposure to digital devices, including; smart phones, laptops, tablets, etc.
- Astigmatism – is when the cornea is more almond shaped rather then spherical, this causes distorted images.
- Presbyopia – is when the lens of the eye looses its elasticity causing long-sightedness, this typically occurs in middle-aged patients.
- Myopia (near/short-sightedness) – is when the light that comes in does not focus on the retina but in front of it, causing distance vision to be out of focus.
- Dry Eye – is when there is an inflammation of the cornea of the eye and conjunctiva, this is due to inadequate tear secretion.
- Glaucoma – is when there is increased pressure within the eye, which then causes gradual loss of sight.
- Cataracts – is when the lens of the eye starts to cloud due to the tissue breaking down and proteins in the eye starting to clump.
- Macular Degeneration – is a group of degenerative diseases of the retina, which cause progressive and painless loss of central vision.
- Ocular Therapeutics – is the diagnosis and treatment of ocular conditions.