Nothing says Christmas time more than a Christmas pudding. Try our hassle free, healthy recipe.
What you need
- 500g of mixed dried fruit
- 2 green apples (peeled and roughly grated)
- 2 teaspoons of finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup gluten-free cornflour
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- 125g Nuttelex Lite table spread (you can find this at Woolworths)
- 3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- cooking oil spray
- 2 cups low-fat gluten-free vanilla custard (to serve)
What to do
- Place dried fruit, apples, lemon zest and apple juice in a large bowl. Cover ingredients and leave to stand over night.
- Sift together flours and baking powder into a separate bowl. Place the table spread, brown sugar and golden syrup in another large bowl; beat with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Add egg, beat, then add egg whites one at a time, beating between additions until mixture just combines. Add in the fruit mixture, sifted dry ingredients, breadcrumbs, vanilla extract and mixed spice; stir to combine.
- Spray 12 x 2/3 cup-capacity pudding basins with cooking oil. Line each base with a circle of nonstick baking paper. Divide pudding mixture evenly among basins. Top each with a square of baking paper and a square of foil; secure with either kitchen string or pudding-basin lids.
- Divide puddings between two large saucepans set on trivets. Fill pans with enough boiling water to reach halfway up sides of basins. Cover pans with tightly fitting lids and boil for 1 1/2 hours, topping up with boiling water as needed. Leave puddings to stand for 10 minutes, then turn out.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons custard onto each warm pudding and serve.